Hi.  I don't know exactly how this works, but I had a similar need
yesterday.  I set up the e-mail in the CFM file with breaks where I wanted
them.  It seems to me that the text between the CFMAIL tags is treated
almost as if it is a separate text file, and the format is preserved.

If anyone has a more precise answer, I'd love to hear it as well.

Hope this helps,
Matthieu