The answer came from the jedi master himself Ray Camden:

if you put the click handler in the root document,
and switch it to Live(), then it will work.

So changing the event handler to
       $("#checkboxall").live("click",function()  {
Makes it work.

Even Ray was a little surprised that Live() was needed in this case.  I
never even heard of Live() cause I don't use jQuery that much, I should
start.

But it works now, thanks All.