I tell everyone that the cfajax tags are great for rapid prototyping,
but it's best to go straight ExtJs for production implementation on
anything but the simplest work.

One of the biggest issues I've seen, in examples of paging with the
cfgrid tags, is the use of the QueryConvertForGrid() method for creating
your paged datasets. If performance is an issue, you will be much better
served by writing a true paging query. The QueryConvertForGrid() method
is basically taking on a QueryOfQuery approach, whereby your querying
your entire recordset and filtering it down at the CF level before
passing it to the grid. For large datasets, this is handled much better
at your SQL tier. There are many examples on this out on the web. It's
fairly trivial with MS SQL, and really easy with MySQL.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Community Professional - ColdFusion
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer

Co-Author of "Learning Ext JS"
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js/book
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com