Actually I disagree with what is best to go with based on your OS.

It is all going to boil down to your requirements, for us we needed to know
what changes had been made at the ticket level. And as we already had Jira
installed it was a no brainer to use Subversion to do this.

What this means is that I can look up a ticket at any time, and actually see
what files had changed and when. But that is not for everyone either, so I
would be sitting down and working out what your long term plan is. If you
are also always in house, and have centralised developers then a centralised
repository is just as good as any decentralised one, if not better.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/