It sounds as though you are just expecting CF to somehow automatically
pickup windows ODBC data sources.
This wont happen.
It only worked when you upgraded form CF5 because you were upgrading
ColdFusion, so it knew about the data sources in the cfadmin and migrated.
You need to add the datasources via the coldfusion administrator, this
creates an ODBC DSN and then creates a JDBC bridge to connect to it.
Sorry if I misunderstood, if you have done this already then read on.

If you look in C:\ColdFusion9\lib\neo-datasource.xml you will find all the
DSN's defined in here. Check all the connection properties of the working
DSN's and compare them to the non working DSN's and see if there is anything
different.

If you then look in C:\ColdFusion9\db\slserver54\cfg\swandm.ini
You will find all the dsn's defined in here as well for the jdbc connector

each dsn is defined like this

[DataSource_5]
Type=6
DataSourceLogonMethod=OSIntegrated
DataSourceProviderTypesFile=C:\ColdFusion9\db\slserver54\bin\swsoc.ini
ServiceName=ColdFusion 9 ODBC Server
DataSourceName=mydsn
DataSourceSOCODBCConnStr=dsn=mydsn
DataSourceFetchTimeStampAsString=0

make sure they are defined here, comparing the working ones against broken
ones and see if there is any glaring difference.
trol pane
If all is good, then you should check that the actual ODBC DSN is working,
you can do this from administrative tools/Data Sources ODBC
find the DSN and then simply test it to make sure it works. If not, then its
a windows ODBC problem. Try re-creating the ODBC DSN directly in windows
instead of with CF and see if that helps.

Russ