I have done this three ways. I had an edit table (like your temp table) and
that worked fairly well. I did versioning as Jason mentioned, that was a
bit of a PITA.   The other way was to use a "preview" page and I submitted
the form data to the preview page via AJAX and populated it that way. The
Ajax method worked best with simple pages i.e. not a lot of joins.

G!