That is a good idea. Open Office *is* written in Java. I was curious so I
looked around on the web for some code examples and the ones I found were
in Java.  So, in theory at least, you can create the Java objects in CF and
use the code examples as a guide.

Here are some examples that I found
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/tchangu/archive/2005/12/open_office_jav.html
http://openofficejava.blogspot.com/2009/05/openofficeorg-api.html