Bruce I wouldn't sweat about making a rookie mistake.    We all do.   Mine
is usually confusing 'eq' and '='.   as in ...

<cfif variable1 eq variable2> ,,,, </cfif>

and

<cfset variable1 = something >

I usually find out I've got them the wrong way round when I get an error
message.   You'd think something as simple as that would be easy to
remember,  if only because it trips me up so many times.    But no.
So don't worry about it.   Anyway,  any programmer that tells you they
usually write code that works first time as advertised is quite probably a
liar.

What is important is to learn how you diagnose your own errors and fix them
yourself before anyone else gets involved.  You're going to keep making
mistakes,  either simply syntax mistakes or errors in code logic.    The
skilled programmers learn how to look for potential minefields as they go,
and check each segment of code as they develop, so the finished code is as
robust as it's possible to be before they let anyone else test it.    That
way they get the reputation of being invincible.     It's all smoke and
mirrors though.   They're not invincible - they just paper over the cracks
 before anyone sees  (to mix metaphors).

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month