It looks like this problem is solved, because while it's been intermittent,
I haven't had the error for a couple of days.

So that means the problem was the timezone.cfc CFC by Paul Hastings.  It's
an excellent component, but the version I had was old.   It's been rock
solid for years and years, but something changed in the JVM and it gave
errors.

However the fix was easy - just download a current version and replace the
old version on the site.
The new version has updates from August 2010 and adds new methods too.

Problem apparently solved.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia