We parse bounces and returns using Boogie Tools and love it.

http://www.boogietools.com/

Craig

 From: "Russ Michaels" <r...@michaels.me.uk>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 9:45 AM
To: "cf-talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Subject: Re: database driven mail server

Claude,

it rather depends what else you want out of the mail server.
If you just want better reporting for SMTP to track bounces, rejections,
failures etc, then you only need to change the SMTP server and you could
keep MailEnable for incoming mail if you are happy with it.
I have used HmailServer for SMTP many times and it does have good logging
and you can use MSSQL or MYSQL for storage too, it is also FREE. It is an
OK basic pop/IMAP server too, but the anti-spam is basic content
filtering,
DNSBL etc, there is no Bayesian engine , so you need to setup an external
solution if you want high grade anti-spam, so it depends if this extra
work
is worth it for you compared to paying for a commercial solution with
built
in anti-spam.

SmarterMail is also a very good and robust solution, and again if you were
only going to use this for SMTP then it would be FREE, you may also prefer
it to MailEnable overall.