I would assume the specific issues would be the crux of the matter. Without
them, it is difficult to speculate.

In regards to performance, the scopes you mention are often used to
increase performance in well designed applications. If the server doesn't
have enough resources to accommodate their use, then yes, performance will
suffer, but the primary reason is a lack of server resources, not the use
of application, session and client scopes.