To check your theory,  try setting the timeout to a large number and see if
the problem goes away.    Then you know for sure what is causing the
problem.   There are a number of things you can do to  reduce the impact of
a long processing time:

[A] look for ways to reduce the processing time.    I dont know what you're
doing so I can't be specific about what you could do but maybe combine some
of those checkbox results so you have only one query between them.  Or
cache some of the queries so they come back faster from the database.

[B] If you can't speed up the processing time,  look for ways to reduce the
effect.   For example use threading (CFTHREAD tag)  to run simultaneous
queries and start displaying the result even though not all the queries
have processed yet.    You can use force coldfusion to display the
incomplete page if you use CFFLUSH tags to output the page up to that
point, even though the page processing isnt complete yet.   Often, even
though you can't speed up the page process, you can give the user the
appearance of a faster page process by displaying parts of the page while
processing still continues.

[C]   Use both A and B above.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month

Hope this helps.   Probably I've just told you something you already know,
and if so, I'm sorry.      If you give us more details or maybe some code
to look at,  no doubt we can think of other things you can do too.