A number of years ago I accomplished a similar need through the utilization of
a client side print ocx which allowed the user to select a printer to be used
for label printing.  Once they selected the printer, I was able to manipulate
the required settings and query paper size information that I would pass back
to my label designer and return the HTML that I would then send to the printer.
 It worked beautifully and the clients loved it.

I do not remember the name of the control, but it was a commercial ocx.  Our
clients did a lot of label printing so installing the ocx was not an issue for
them.  I do not know how if you are intending for the client to print barcodes
or not, but if this will be an administrative function it might be something to
consider.

David Phelan
Web Developer
IT Security & Web Technologies