ok a few couple of  reasons I can think of.

you have an un-closed tag somewhere in the form, but it doesn't always get
rendered, maybe some conditional logic causes it to only display for some
people.
Some other conditional logic that causes the page to get redirected or
reloaded, thus without the form fields.

I would step though the code with the debugger and check all conditional
logic for anything that could cause it to happen only in certain situations.