From: Dave Watts [mailto:dwa...@figleaf.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:09 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Decrypting MD5

> So basically MD5 is useless if you can't decrypt the value! That sucks.

I don't know about useless. Hashing is not the same as encryption.
They're intended to solve different problems.

Let's say you're using a Windows network, with Active Directory.
Active Directory doesn't actually know your password, because it
doesn't need to know. All it needs to know is, did you enter the
correct password when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete this morning - and it
doesn't need to know what the password is in that case. Your
workstation takes your plaintext password, generates a hash, and sends
it to AD. AD compares the hash to the one it stored when you set your
password in the first place. If they match, there's an extremely high
likelihood that the plaintext passwords match as well.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Software is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business
(SDVOSB) on GSA Schedule, and provides the highest caliber vendor-
authorized instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.