Some confusion apparent here -

The word Julian appears in two instances that I know of when referring to
dates.  There is the Julian calendar and Julian dates.

The Julian calendar refers to the original calendar invented by Julius
Ceasar where a year was 365 1/4 days long.  In 1582, Pope Gregory estimated
that the Julian calendar had thrown the calendar off by 10 days and thus
eliminated the dates Oct 5-14, 1852 to correct it.  The new calendar is
known as the Gregorian calendar.  The headaches that we had by the fact that
2000 was not a leap year is part of the same system.  Incidently, the
Gregorian calendar isn't perfect either; A Gregorian year is approximately
12 seconds longer than an astronomical year (the time it takes for the earth
to move around the sun).  However, since it will take another 2000-3000
years before we're even 12 hours off, I don't think anyone is that worried.

Julian dates refer to a data format where months are not counted, only the
day of the year.  Today for example is April 13th 2001, which is the
31+28+31+13=103rd day of the year.  The Julian date then is 2001103.  The
only place that I've ever encountered that uses Julian dates is the military
supply system, I think because they're concerned with how quickly something
can be fufilled and not having to fuss as much over leap years.  However,
given that military supply is a multi billion dollar industry, that probably
big enough to justify knowing about it.

Brian