I use WS-FTP Pro to keep files and directories in sync.  There is a 'sync
directory' function, which is fairly powerful.

  If the content being created on the production server is database driven,
you may not need to update the development database server on a routine
basis.  As long as you have valid sample data, you should be fine for your
testing purposes.  If you are using SQL Server you can use DTS to move data
back and forth, though.

  If the content is file-based (HTML files / images ) why isn't this
content being created on the development server in the first place?

  I'm not sure why the 'homework' flame came across the list; keeping two
servers in sync seems like a common real-world situation.

--
Jeffry Houser | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: Reboog711  | ICQ: 5246969 | Fax / Phone: 860-223-7946