Bud, this is actually a case of Microsoft fixing a bug. Content in td's
should inherit alignment from outer elements. At least that's what the
W3C says...

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.3.2.1

Apparently you should be able to set the alignment on the first cell in
the span and it will fix all of them. That is, if IE6 has implemented
that part of the standard. :)

jon