From: Mark Warrick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 3:50 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: regular expression help

Hello,

I've got a form field in which I want to allow people to enter HTML tags
(formatted stories for the web), but only a limited set of them such as
heading, bold, and italic tags so that they don't mess up the overall
formatting of the page.

What I'd like to do is automatically strip out any other HTML tag (or
JavaScript, CSS, DHTML, etc.) from the submission but leave the safe tags.
I'm thinking that using a regular expression string to do this would be the
way to go, however there is something to consider about that idea.  The data
ends up in an NTEXT field in the SQL database which is capable of storing a
lot of data and I suspect people might be typing as much as a few pages of
text into this field.  So I'm worried that a regular expression might take
too long to parse through all the entered text.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here.  Anyone have any suggestions?

---mark

Mark Warrick ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Founder, Fusioneers.com / CTO, ZapConnect.com
Phone: 714-547-5386 / 714-667-0203 / Efax: 801-730-7289
http://www.warrick.net / http://www.fusioneers.com
http://www.zapconnect.com
ICQ: 125160 AIM: markwarric Yahoo: Serengeti