ok, with Jason's help, we've got most of it nailed down, however, I'm still
encountering trouble in assigning the script variable values to something
cold fusion can then further manipulate.

This must be something simple, but....

I've tried initializing authstatus with cfset outside the script block.
That value holds. If I initialize it with a real value before the for
block, the value holds, so for some reason, it would appear I'm not really
getting at the attribute authstatus of the element pp.authresponse.

I'm beginning to think that with all of these processing options, the
period in the element name is getting in the way.

Can I take the original object built with:

<cfset response = #CFHTTP.FileContent#>

and do some sort of character replacement to make the period some other
alphanumeric character?

current test url: travel.webgeek.com/testauth.cfm

returns nothing in authstatus, and the cfif block fails to the else of
"problem".

current relevant code:

<cfscript>
                objDOM = CreateObject("COM", "Microsoft.XMLDom");
                objDOM.async = false;

                objDOM.load(response);
        root_node = objDOM.documentElement;
                   items = objDOM.getElementsByTagName("pp.authresponse");
                                n_items = items.length;
                authstatus = "";
                                for (i = 0;  i lt n_items ;  i = i + 1)
                                {
                                        node = items.item(i);
                                        map_node = node.attributes;
                                        //the following would retrive the ordernumber
attribute...
                                        authstatus =
map_node.getnameditem("authstatus");
                                        authstatus = authstatus.text;