From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jason Daiger
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:32 AM
To: CFCDev@cfczone.org
Subject: [CFCDev] Encapsulating what changes

I have an form input intensive application that I would like to
encapsulate the validation rules into a CFC.  This application is used
and 'tweaked' for 40+ different clients each year using XML
configuration files to store things such as field labels, field required
lists & security rights . If the client has a business rule the
configuration file can't handle, then the validation code for the form
must be changed.  It's really a 90/10 rule where only 10 percent of the
clients require such a change but we must design the system to support
that 10%. Therefore I'm looking for a way to easily alter a validation
CFC.  Seems easy enough but I use strict typing, e.g.
com.attendeeinteractive.aievolution.v100.Person, and want to continue
this practice.  I've thought about a  Factory object that would accept
an optional project code and then return the proper CFC to the caller.
However, this seems like my Factory object will eventually get bogged
down with lots coding changes and ultimately result in a big switch
statement.  That solution just does not seem like a good one to me.  Any
other suggestions out there?

As an FYI, we are currently using Fusebox 5 and have put this form
validation code in a CFM file w/in a circuit.  So changing the
validation rules is easy. Copy the 'offending' circuit out to a custom
directory, altering the FB 5 XML file to point to the new circuit, edit
the CFM file and we're done.  Works great for now but down the road if I
want to add a new front end, such as Flex, it's not going to work b/w
it's a framework specific solution.  So I would like to put the
validation rules into a CFC to give me the option later of adding a new
front end without editing the server side business rules.  That's my
goal and any help or suggestions on reaching that goal would be appreciated.

-Jason

--
Jason Daiger
EML: [EMAIL PROTECTED]