Phillip -

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I may have not explained enough
of what I was working with in an attempt to be brief with an OT. That or I may
have used 'archive' in a context that was not descriptive enough.

Oh, and of course I use subversion ;)

To clarify this 'solution opportunity', aka: problem. I was describing a web
based file share system. The users can create folders (nested) and publish
document containers that hold one or more files. The UI is fed off the DB and
manages the content of the DB. When you save, get or delete a file, then you
are working with the DB and a file system. I simply did not want to store files
in the DB. I also wanted to be able to just grab the folder struct of files and
go if needed, that and disaster recovery is quicker for end users.

As you might guess synchronization can get hairy when doing folder or document
moves, since 'where' everything living on the file system is referenced in the
db.

However, I think I may have a solution that will address the issue of 'how do I
archive' raised in the initial email. In short I have devised a way to archive
the existing metadata about folders, document containers and files in them and
keep track of the files actually saved in the mirrored folder structure (on the
file system) when it's time to archive them due to being replaced or deleted.

I'm thinking that what I was looking for may have been too project specific to
expect to find any 'best practices' for.

Thanks for your time,
Brent Nicholas - 248.767.5516 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] "I can't afford to make
exceptions. Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to
disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work, all the time." -- Man
in Black - Princess Bride

Subject: RE: [CFCDEV] OT: File management with CF on DB and FileSysDate: Tue,
19 Dec 2006 13:06:11 -0500From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: cfcdev@cfczone.org

1. Most people on this list will say to use subversion.
We started doing that recently.

2. A few years ago, I developed a script to be run in BeyondCompare from
www.scootersoftware.com, which I still use:

LOG VERBOSE Archive.log
LOAD C:\inetpub\wwwroot c:\Archive\Temp
FILTER cutoff:<1days
EXPAND ALL
SELECT LEFT.FILES
Option confirm:yes-to-all
COPY LEFT->RIGHT
LOAD c:\Archive\Temp
EXPAND ALL
SELECT ALL
# COPYTO can accept a date parameter.
# Important: in Control Panel, Regional Settings, the Date separator was
changed from / to -.
COPYTO LEFT c:\Archive\Development\%Date%
Option confirm:yes-to-all
# The following deletes the contents of c:\Archive\Temp
DELETE LEFT

What this does, when scheduled after midnight, is copy any files that have a
datetime stamp of 1 day old (or less).
You'll have to create a few directories
MD C:\archive
MD C:\archive\temp
MD C:\archive\Development
It then starts creating subdirectories nightly
MD C:\archive\Development\2006-12-19  (Be sure to read note about the date
separator)

This has been extremely lightweight and helpful in comparing versions.
5 stars for BeyondCompare!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brent
NicholasSent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:35 PMTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
[CFCDEV] OT: File management with CF on DB and FileSys

Ok, yeah OT... I am using CFMX with CFC's though! .. :)  Given the experience
in this community I wanted to ask if any one knew of any sources to read about
best practices when it comes to archiving documents that are tracked (meta and
location of file) with a database while the document its self lives on a file
system that mirrors (folder wise) the structure in the DB. Right now I'm
working out all the nuances of: Delete a file, update a file, move a folder,
move a file with the above stated design. I've just got that sneaky suspicion
I'm missing something obvious. I tend to over complicate sometimes. Anyone done
this? Or know of a place to read about it. I've already googled it, but didn't
find much relevant. I'd expand on what I've done and learned but I wanted to
keep the email short.  Thanks for your time,Brent Nicholas - 248.767.5516 -
[EMAIL PROTECTED] "I can't afford to make exceptions. Once word leaks out that
a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing but
work, work, work, all the time." -- Man in Black - Princess BrideYou are
subscribed to cfcdev. To unsubscribe, please follow the instructions at
http://www.cfczone.org/listserv.cfmCFCDev is supported by:Katapult Media,
Inc.We are cool code geeks looking for fun projects to
rock!www.katapultmedia.comAn archive of the CFCDev list is available at
www.mail-archive.com/cfcdev@cfczone.org You are subscribed to cfcdev. To