On 8/3/07, Alan Livie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OO is a tough subject to get to grips with and even after reading as much as
> I can find on the subject I'm still at the crawling stage.

Yup. And remember that there is no One True Way. For any given problem
there are multiple solutions - multiple design patterns may be
applicable and each design pattern may have multiple implementations.

I personally prefer to have my business objects (beans) be smart
enough to think for themself - dumb beans just lead to procedural
code. That's not to say that a bean can't leverage a service object to
perform some common task but it's better to have a bean pass its own
data to some service than have the service ask the bean for the data.

In other words:

bean.validate() -> calls service.validate(variables.somedata)

is better than:

service.somemethod() -> calls bean.getSomeData(), then validates it,
then updates bean

The latter is a very procedural approach - separating functionality from data.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood