Generally, here's how I've dealt with it:

Make your link on the welcome page something along the lines of:

In login.pm you'll need to cover both the case where they're coming to the
login page via a link (hint: make sure the username and password params
aren't set or make sure that only _state is set), and the case where the
username and password are set and should be processed.

Andrew

--

Andrew Gianni
Administrative Computing Services