Yesterday I've encountered a case where CGIPH isn't as DWIM as it
could be.  It had never hit me before, because usually I use mod_perl
and compile all stuff in the startup routine.

The docs of CGIPH state:
... The package for the class is autoloaded if needed.

This is true as long as the class is passed to dispatch via the _state
parameter, but doesn't hold between the steps.  I believe that my use
case is quite typical: In my respond routines, I want to return a
read, require.  I'd rather follow the Linux Mag article and simply
return the *name* of the class:

sub respond {
   # ...whatever needs to be done in response to the user's request
   return 'My::App::NextPage';
}

or even DWIMmer, but different from what's implemented in CGIP and
documented in Linux Mag:

sub respond {
   # ...du whatever needs to be done in response to the user's request
   return 'NextPage';
}

However, this fails if My::App::NextPage hasn't already been compiled.
It dies when trying to execute My::App::NextPage::control_enter.

Both control_enter and its caller activate are inherited from CGIP,
which doesn't support autoloading, so it isn't just a one-liner in
CGIPH.  Currently I'm using the following workaround in My::App:

sub respond {
    my $self = shift;

    my $package  =  $self->respond_per_app ||
                    $self->respond_per_page;
    eval "require $package" unless (ref $package ||
                                    eval "defined %${package}::");
    die if $@;
    return $package;
}

I am not completely happy with it since it prevents simple
applications to override respond (as in the Linux Mag example, which
admittedly refers to CGIP).  I need to stick to respond_per_page
instead.  Maybe it would be better to override activate in CGIPH and
do the autoloading immediately before $next_page->control_enter?
--
Cheers,
haj