Hi all,

If you haven't heard of XMLHTTPReqeust aka Remote Scripting aka AJAX it's basically a way for web pages to communicate with the server and return information through JavaScript without having to refresh the page.

For those interested in using JavaScript to update parts of the page (rather that refreshing it completely)
here is a whole (CGI::App-derived) framework built on that idea:

http://search.cpan.org/~eric/OpenThought-0.71/lib/OpenThought.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~eric/OpenPlugin-0.11/OpenPlugin/Application.pm

It uses a hidden frame to communicate with the server (which is what people did before the advent of XMLHTTPRequest, but the idea is the same).

I have not used OpenThought, just stumbled upon the link.

And since we are at it, has anyone done experiments with building CGI::Apps for Mozilla XUL that they want to share?
(This is of course totally non-cross-browser, so not useful for web sites, but could be worth a look for Intranet applications)

Thilo