Mark:

There's a lot to reply to in your email, and not enough time on my part to do
so.  I'll just hit a few quick points here...

> I don't think we have be exclusive about the modules  that we choose to
> mention. While there are may be "favorite", "recommended" or "popular"
> modules to include, partly we are promoting an open system, where parts
> can be swapped in and out. So it could be appropriate to highlight
> HTML::Template because it shares a similar design philosophy, but also
> mention Template::Toolkit as being a possibility that some people use.

I think that it's important to demonstrate how to swap in / out modules, so that
people can see how it's done and how the CGI::Application methodology allows for
it and what the "best practices" look like in this regard (e.g. replacing H::T
with TT as the templating engine).

That said, I think it could also be a great benefit to the audience to provide a
single unified approach that covers all the stuff that needs to be covered in a
web/databasing system, per best practices once again.

There are two audiences for the book -- those who need to and like to tinker
with their application development frameworks, and those who don't care so long
as they're given a good, working and well-documented framework.   We need to
cater to both.

> I think you hit another point Richard-- this project could also help
> compare and contrast CGI::Application to the numerous similar
> frameworks which are also popping up.

Comparison would be very good -- even compare it to other languages &
environments such as PHP, JSP, Servlets, etc.  (Each of these would only be a
few pages long, though.)

> I'm thinking a title like "Database-driven websites with Perl". However,
> ruminating about titles is probably not appropriate for this stage of
> planning. :)

There are a ton of ways to do database driven websites with Perl.  This is a
very special way to do it -- a model/view/controller kind of way, with
CGI::Application (essentially) providing the controller.

> Richard, what would you advise as the appropriate next step? How do we
> even evaluate if the project is feasible before proceeding further?

Like I said, selling this will not be hard.  My agent asked me about 2 months
ago to see if I had any new book project ideas I'd like to pursue.  She told me
that the market for this was picking up.  I talked with Sam and Jesse about
doing a similar book project together around 2 years ago, but that was probably
a bit too ambitious (organizationally speaking) and eventually petered out.
This is much more managable.

The main thing right now it to come up with a marketing focus and a problem
statement.  Once this is done, it will suggest a table of contents.  After that,
it can be shopped around to editors.  Each publishing company has a bullshit
form you have to fill out as part of a book project, along with writing a few
essays.  Admittedly, this serves a few purposes -- it scares away the people who
aren't really serious about doing the work, it shows that you have rudimentary
writing and organizational skills, it shows that you've actually put some
thought into the issues at hand, etc.

Anyhow, this is getting into the guts of things.  The ordinality of the cart is
less than the ordinality of the horse. :-)

Cheers,
Richard