On 2004-02-09, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gabriel:
>       I do have one or two requests... The first is persistent access to
> an HTML::Template object, ala the persistant access to the CGI module via
> query(). I see no reason (based on my projects/experience) why it is not so.
> For instance, I have a prep_tmpl() method that fills in all the default
> template values like footer, header, and some miscellaneous other items. I
> have to pass the tmpl object as an argument to this method, which is a bit
> sloppy. Below is my proposed new load_tmpl(), based on query().

I also use 'defaults' that I always want to pass to the templating
system. I do this by using a sub-class that overrides load_tmpl(). Works
great.

Although I prefer HTML::Template, I don't feel there is a strong need to
further couple it to CGI::Application.

>       One further request, and this could generate a flame war, which I
> have neither the time, nor the interest to entertain, is the dedicated
> support of a session module, and obviously, it should also be persistantly
> available througout the application like query(), and my proposed
> load_tmpl(). I propose CGI::Session, for a few reasons. It's feature rich,
> stable, ubiquitous, and not tied down to Apache only, just like CGI::App.

I like the CGI::Application::Session solution to this that is being
worked on.  If you use it with a CGI::App class that you inherit from,
it will "feel" the same as being the core of CGI::Application. If one
Session mix-in module is clearly the most popular, it could be
reasonable to mention it in the CGI::App docs, so people don't have to
keep searching for a solution when one already exists.

>       P.S - Jesse/Mark, thank you muchly for this stellar module. You have
> no idea how much it has helped me and the team of developers I work with.

Thanks to all the contributors! I think Jesse and I wrote very little
code for the last release. It was very much a community effort. I
consider the active participation of the CGI::App community a strong
measure of its success.

        Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .