I've verified the two work together here by not using session_config.

To buy (dwindling) time, I'm still using inline HTML:

$html .= qq|bunch of HTML|;
return $html;

I'm guessing $self->header_props does not add anything to what's
being returned. How, where or when can, or should, I add headers
to $html?

A cookie does get set if I use $self->session_cookie(). I need that
C::A book being discussed, with a chapter for dummies and lots of
examples with a minimum of [snip]s and ... !

--Jon