I forgot to update the Changes file, so the changes header looks a little off. Devil's in the details... ;(

- Jason

Mark Stosberg wrote:
On 2005-03-30, Mark Stosberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2005-03-30, Mark Stosberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

With the right URL on the command line, I was able to download the file
and run a diff. Here it is:

$ diff -a old.pdf new.pdf
1c1
< %PDF-1.3
---

1.3

1182a1183

1

\ No newline at end of file

I'll investigate these differences more.

The only thing I could find that seemed slightly odd in "::Stream" was the printing of a null character at end of the file:

print '';   # print a null string at the end

I couldn't determine conclusively that part of my issue. It certainly doesn't explain
why '%PDF-' is missing.

Here an angle that someone else may want work on: I checked to see if ::Stream
has any tests that confirm that the file that's transmitted is the exactly the same after the transmission.

It doesn't have a test like that. However, I stumbled immmediately when trying
to create one.

The tests tie STDOUT, and printing the current contents of STDOUT (via
$content_sent) doesn't contain the contents of the file.

I've resolved this now, with help from Jason Purdy.

First, I think I think I found a definite bug in ::Stream. It sets a
'Size' header, which I don't think is correct. Setting 'Content-Length'
instead is correct.

The documentation also says to use 'size', and I think it should
probably be updated to say 'Content_Length' instead. Perhaps 'size'
could still be supported as a synonym.

Next, regarding the wrong file ending, it seems to be an issue that I
wasn't following the documentation. :) I had this:

$self->stream_file(...);

When the docs recommended:

 if ($self->stream_file(...) {
    return;
 }

FINALLY, I tracked down the bug which caused '%PDF-' to disappear.

After File::MMagic read from the file handle, it didn't return the
position back to the beginning.

I have a patch for much of this here:

http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/perl/stream.patch

It could use some tests, especially for the 'seek' bug.

I've also filed a bug report with File::MMagic for it to put things back
how it found them. :)

    Mark