Owain wrote:
I read this post on Article on /.
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/04/1520227&tid=156&tid=1

which looked interesting since I am going to have a play with Ruby
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html) and Ruby on Rails
(http://www.rubyonrails.com/) seems to fell rather similar to cgiapp in
a lot of senses.  I am "reading up" on Design Patterns and would like to
try out Ruby and this seems to be a good way to try.  Has anyone on the
list had a shot already and what are the main differences?

Rails is more of a framework than CGI::App. It think the perl equivalent is Catalyst (which is based on Maypole). And from what I can tell Catalyst is an awful lot like C::A but with more stuff.

For an intro on Catalyst... http://search.cpan.org/~sri/Catalyst-4.34/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Intro.pod

Most of the stuff added to Catalyst aren't so much a part of the application, but other stuff like a built in testing framework, testing server, etc. The code looks a lot like CGI::App though.

One problem I have already spotted is the likely difficulty of having
mod_ruby or ruby installed at an ISP good old Perl is ubiquitous.

I'm sure Rails is nice, but from what I've seen (I know, I know, I should really try it out first hand) it doesn't do anything that can't already be done with perl (Maypole, Catalyst, C::A w/TT and Class::DBI).

--
Michael Peters
Developer