On 1/2/07, Jason Purdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm probably missing something, but I ran across this article a few days
ago[1] and the huge red flag for me was:

" ... In 2006 browser vendors still don't support PUT and DELETE."

Is this right?  Should we worry about REST if no one can (properly) use
them?

It is right, but I (and many others) say we should absolutely worry about REST.

The lack of DELETE and PUT support is a long standing issue that even
the most stalwart supporters of REST will admit requires a workaround
in the form of a POST with a flag of some type to the app indicating a
DELETE or PUT is intended. I think there are JavaScript libraries that
permit support of PUT and DELETE though.

Why go with built-in REST support then? The browser is not the only
client to access a web application. With built-in REST support and
some add effort to support content negotiation (do I return text/html
or text/javascript [json] or application/xml+atom?) you have a web
service API. The Atom Publishing Protocol (aka APP, the web services
counterpart to the syndication format) is RESTful and uses DELETE and
PUT. Its nearlng final call for submission to the IETF to be ratified
as an official standard. Hopefully with an IETF standard like APP and
support by companies like Google these methods will make become
standard in browsers some day.

To a lessor extent, and perhaps its just the way I think, I like how
it makes you organize your application. It just seems clear and more
elegant to me.

<tim/>

--
Timothy Appnel
Appnel Solutions

Blogcast / Powerful blogging systems made easy
http://blogcast.net/