On 1/2/07, Michael Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As I said to him when we had our IRC conversation that day, the main bit
> that is missing is dispatch based on MIME types.

Well, it lacks being able to dispatch on HTTP request method too. I'm confused
about the MIME types bit though. I don't seem to remember how they are
associated with REST.

The idea is that one end point and return a representation of itself
in different formats based on the HTTP Accept header. This is referred
to as content negotiation or "conneg" in REST parlance.

GET /people
=> return HTML

Accept: text/javascript
GET /people
=>return JSON

Accept: text/xml
GET /people
=> return XML

The above example assumes HTML is the default response. That doesn't
necessarily have to be the case. Also using other MIME's like
application/xml+atom you could return different XML formats.

If you can read Ruby code the slide DDH posted with the blog entry I
referenced has some examples on how its being implemented in Rails in
addition for the case for native support of REST.

<tim/>
--
Timothy Appnel
Appnel Solutions

Blogcast / Powerful blogging systems made easy
http://blogcast.net/