Ron Savage wrote:
Hi Pascal

And the first time for me. Well, everytime I promise myself to learn some
OO
mapper a new one comes along, from DBIx::Class to Ruby's ActiveRecord to
Class::DBI to this. Am I too slow, or too behind the times, or just never
need one in the first place? :-)

I guess it's a question of priorities.

At the time when you might take up one of these packages, you weigh up the
importance of each factor, and either decide to dedicate the time to
learning how to use a new package, or just keep doing things the old way.

Having the time, at the right time, to get up-to-speed on a new package,
can be a luxury.

Class::DBI was around for some time before I adopted it, because I was
reluctant to give up DBIx::SQLEngine. But one day I jumped.

Then, Rose was around for some time too before I adopted it.

My current plan is to stick with Rose, except for 2 special cases:
o Maintenance of code using other packages

o My current work, where I am not allowed to write to the db. Also, there
is no C/C++ compiler, and, with 2 Perls in production on the system
already, don't want to install gcc and another Perl (if necessary). So
I've plumped for the simplest course, i.e. using DBI directly. (See how
various factors affect each decision?)

Don't forget, the author of Class::DBI is hyper-sensitive to any comments,
not just criticism, and does not run a mailing list any more, so if you
have a problem, getting a fix can be extremely difficult.

DBIx::Class has an active mailing list (or had), but I didn't like the
look of that package (and it had no Oracle support at that time), and I
/never/ overrule my gut reactions these days.

FWIW, I have heard good things about it, even from Mr. Schwartz.

Robert