Gurunandan R. Bhat wrote:

Thanks. I did seriously consider TheSchwartz and gearman. I have two
features that I want to implement: First, I want to pass some feedback
to the user who queued the task indicating progress.

I normally use a custom job queue for more flexibility and store the jobs in the database (as serialized data structures). Then my web processes can query the DB to see if the job in question has finished and thus give a progress report to the user.

Second, I must be
able to schedule it at a future time. I am currently using Schedule::At
to do this. Again both are fragile and as you correctly pointed out,
will suffer when scaled.

My queue also allows this, but I'm not sure how TheSchwartz or Gearman handle
that.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP