From: Stark Laura [mailto:laura.st...@jyu.fi]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 12:48 AM
To: r...@itu.dk; adri...@souzaesilva.com; mm...@cam.ac.uk; Araba Sey;
antonypalac...@yahoo.com; arulc...@ntu.edu.sg; cwal...@tamu.edu;
k.v.lexan...@ikos.uio.no
Subject: Conference on Mobile Telephony in the Developing World in May 2013

Dear authors of the volume "Global Communication in the Global South",

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your interesting articles in
the special issue of New Media and Society, and to inform you that on May 24 -
25, 2013 we are organizing a conference on "Mobile Telephony in the Developing
World" in the city of Jyväskylä, in Finland. The call for papers has been
extended to January 10th, 2013. The conference aims to generate a lively
discussion and to give special attention to how mobile technologies intersect
with, and are involved in, social and cultural processes. Keynote speakers will
be Jonathan Donner, John Postill and Julie Soleil Archambault.

Panel topics thus far (to which more papers are welcome) include:

1. Mobile technology in the health sector in developing countries 2. Mobile
phones for enhancing economic and business transactions 3. Mobile phones and
gender 4. Mobile telephony, politics and governance 5. Mobile phones, social
networks and social knowledge 6. Mobile phones and agriculture in Africa 7.
Mobile telephony and technological development 8. Calling to Arms:
Communication Circuits and War in Africa

Please find the call for papers by following this link:

http://mobiletelephony-developingworld.blogspot.fi/

We would warmly appreciate it if you could spread the word of the conference to
any colleagues which might be interested.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Laura

Laura Stark, Professor of Ethnology
Department of History and Ethnology