Hello,

My name is Mayank Goel. I'm a graduate student in Computer Science and
Engineering at the University of Washington. I am part of a UW research
team conducting a research project on *mobile phone-based pulmonary (or
lung) function measurement. We published a paper on this project earlier in
2012 called SpiroSmart (*link
<http://abstract.cs.washington.edu/~shwetak/papers/SpiroSmart.CR.Final.pdf>
*). *

Testing consists of forcefully blowing through a large tube for about six
seconds. You will be asked to blow through a large tube until you have
completely expelled all the air from your lungs. This is typically called a
peak flow test. You will be asked to perform peak flow test six times using
a spirometer and nine times using a mobile phone. The entire study will
last *20 - 30 minutes*. You must be above 18 years of age to participate.

We are recording a large database of peak-flow test results using both a
traditional method (spirometer) and a mobile phone while calling a server.
We are looking for participants to have their peak flow recorded. The goal
of this research is to develop an algorithm to automatically extract
pulmonary function measurements from a phone call. Current tools require
the use of a handheld peak-flow meter or require the patient to use a
spirometer at the doctor's office. This solution will make lung function
monitoring a significantly easier task and increase patient compliance so
that health professionals can conduct more reliable research on the
relation between peak flow and various diagnoses such as asthma, chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease, and cystic fibrosis.

The study will take place in the CSE building in CSE 522 and on UW campus.
To ensure privacy, you will be given the opportunity to review your
recordings and delete any sections you want. We will not be recording any
speech or identifying characteristics.

If you choose to participate, you will be paid *entered into a drawing for
a chance to win a $200 amazon gift card. *Participants may be invited back
for additional recording sessions (each session is an additional entry into
the drawing for the gift card).

*If you are interested in participating, or would like more information
about the study, please contact us at may...@cs.washington.edu
<may...@cs.washington.edu>. * You can also directly go to this link and
select a time for the participation.

*Link to the scheduling poll:
<http://goog_2101683878/>http://doodle.com/2xgtnixt8ryztkyu
<http://doodle.com/2xgtnixt8ryztkyu>*

Although we keep e-mails private, please note that we cannot ensure the
confidentiality of information sent via e-mail.

Thank you for considering participation in our study.

--
Mayank Goel
PhD Student, CSE, University of Washington