From: Chris Rothschild
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:51 PM
To: change@change.washington.edu; d...@dub.washington.edu
Subject: Study ICTs and research in Ghana this summer

Hello,

I’d like to let you know of a great opportunity to study ICTs in Ghana and
learn about research and development this summer. Applications are now open for
the “Experience Research: Communication Technologies and Development in
Southern Ghana” Exploration Seminar. This will be the 5th consecutive year the
program has run and we are excited to be taking a new group of students.
(Graduate and undergraduate students are welcome to apply.)

Program topics will include international development, the spread of ICTs in
low and middle-income countries, and field research in developing countries. A
more comprehensive description is at the end of this email, as is a link to the
program site with additional details. It will be 4 weeks long and take place
during early fall start, which means it occurs between Summer B and the
beginning of Fall 2015. Credits will be counted towards your Fall 2015 load.

Students will receive 5 credits (INFX 597 or INFO 497) and the course satisfies
the research methods requirement for Informatics students (INFO 470) and
qualifies as an elective for the International Development Certificate Program
(IDCP). Like all other study abroad programs, we are happy to work with you and
your advisor if the program satisfies a different course in your major.

We will have 2 information sessions:

Thursday 1/29: 12:30 - 1:30, MGH 224

Wednesday 2/11: 12:30 - 1:30, MGH 173R

Please also don’t hesitate to contact me
(chri...@uw.edu<mailto:chri...@uw.edu>) or Araba Sey
(araba...@uw.edu<mailto:araba...@uw.edu>) for more information.

Application Deadline is March 1

To apply or get additional information, follow this link:
https://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10922

Thanks!

Chris

Program Description:

If you've ever wondered whether information and communication technologies
(ICTs) are really changing lives in African countries, this is an opportunity
to find out for yourself. Learn how to design and carry out a research project
to answer questions you have about the role of ICTs in socio-economic
development, while also experiencing the realities of life in Ghana.

The "Experience Research" seminar will guide you to develop research skills by
examining how people in different types of communities (urban and rural) use
ICTs (defined broadly) in their daily lives. Access to ICTs in Ghana ranges
from limited access in many rural areas to high access levels in urban areas
comparable to major US cities. How can we understand people's needs and
resources across these diverse communities? What strategies do people in
conditions of low access use to satisfy their information and communication
needs and what are the outcomes for their livelihoods? Are these behaviors any
different from those exhibited by people living under similar constraints in
the US? Well-designed field research studies can provide insights on these and
other questions.

You will select an ICT-related topic of interest to you, and receive
personalized instruction and practical experience on using field research
methods to explore that topic. Course readings, seminar discussions, data
collection in the field, community service and observations around the country
will not only expose you to the world of research, but will also give us fodder
to interrogate our own definitions of development and how it can be attained.

This program is designed for students interested in international development,
the spread of ICTs in low and middle-income countries, and/or learning about
field research in developing countries. Past participants have come from a wide
range of backgrounds including: Information Science, Communications, Human
Centered Design and Engineering, International Studies, Public Administration,
Health, and Political Science. You do not need to have research experience, and
we welcome both graduate and undergraduate students.

The course satisfies the research methods requirement for Informatics students
(INFO 470) and qualifies as an elective for International Development
Certificate Program (IDCP) students

https://studyabroad.washington.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10922

Chris Rothschild

Research Analyst

Technology & Social Change Group, University of Washington

chri...@uw.edu

206.685.1708