Please join us today for Change in CSE 203 where Aditya will be talking
about his work on systems for low-income blind people living in India.

Title: Social Media Platforms for Low-Income Blind People in India

Abstract: We present the first analysis of the use and non-use of social
media platforms by low-income blind users in rural and peri-urban India.
Using a mixed-methods approach of semi-structured interviews and
observations, we examine the benefits received by low-income blind people
from Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp and investigate constraints that impede
their social media participation. We also present a detailed analysis of
how low-income blind people used a voice-based social media platform
deployed in India that received significant traction from low-income people
in rural and peri-urban areas. In eleven-weeks of deployment, fifty-three
blind participants in our sample collectively placed 4784 voice calls,
contributed 1312 voice messages, cast 33,909 votes and listened to the
messages 46,090 times. Using a mixed-methods analysis of call logs,
qualitative interviews, and phone surveys, we evaluate the strengths and
weaknesses of the platform and benefits it offered to low-income blind
people.

Bio: Aditya Vashistha is a PhD student in the Computer Science and
Engineering department at the University of Washington where he design,
build and evaluate voice-based social computing platforms for low-income
low-literate people in resource constrained settings. You can learn more
about him at www.adityavashistha.com.