Hello All,

Please join us at Change tomorrow. Meg Young will be presenting results
from her research with the Tech Policy Lab and Urban Infrastructure Lab.
Meg has been looking at the implications of smart cities on privacy and
social change.

*What: *Privacy and Public Records in a ‘Smart’ Puget Sound
*When: *Tuesday May 9
*Where: *12pm in CSE 203

*Abstract*
This talk presents the preliminary results of my work on the privacy and
public records implications of ‘smart city’ data collection programs in the
City of Seattle and the State of Washington. I will examine three different
technologies; Acyclica traffic sensors, Landis + Gyr smart meters, and
Verizon Networkfleet’s telematics. These three technologies collect
high-resolution, identifiable information, such as MAC address, energy
consumption, or geo-coordinates over time. I examine how Washington State’s
Public Records Act presents unique risks for the collection of smart cities
data, such as exposure of identifiable information in the event of a public
records request; most often, exemptions under the Act do not shield
resident privacy. I explore other privacy ‘threat frontiers’ in smart
cities data, such as contract terms that enable vendors to make secondary
use of identifiable data and to retain it for longer than necessary. Based
on these empirical examples, I locate opportunities to improve the design
of smart cities data collection programs moving forward.

*Bio*:
Meg is a PhD student in the Information School. She is a member of the Tech
Policy Lab and Urban Infrastructure Lab.