Hi everyone,

I'm leading a computing for social good class this Spring quarter and am
seeking wider participation across the university. Please reach out if you
have any questions.

Spring 2020

Time: MW 1:30-2:50pm

Instructor: Kurtis Heimerl <kheim...@cs.washington.edu>
TA: Esther Jang <infra...@cs.washington.edu>

Location: t.b.a.

As the role of technology has grown, from mainframes to laptops to mobile
phones and pervasive AI, so has the desire to leverage these advances for
the good of society. This class will explore the broad, ongoing themes
around Computing for Social Good, inclusive of advances in HCI, computer
networks, artificial intelligence, and sustainability. We will read about
national- and global-scale challenges and more specific subproblems, and
relevant technology projects. While we will examine some conventional
engineering ethics topics, our aim is much broader: we will start with
fundamental social and ecological challenges and then consider what role,
if any, technology should play in responding to them. One of our aims will
be to differentiate between nice-sounding-but-ineffective tech-for-good
solutions and those that have a chance for real impact. As a result, we
will take a systems perspective -- to trace root causes and find the right
place(s) to make lasting change.

While a working knowledge of critical technology theory is important to
doing good work, this is a class for builders and designers. All students
will complete a project and end up with an artifact; potentially a tool
(designed and/or built) for solving a real-world problem that they bring to
the class or a fictional narrative elucidating the potentials and dangers
of new ongoing advances.

This is a graduate-level computer science class but particularly motivated
and experienced students (including undergrads) from other disciplines can
reach out if they'd like to participate.

More info here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17RNcB0wb3I1ZbAaLXEuwB5W7X32MOVvP8LAhMONxA-Q/edit?usp=sharing

--
Public Key: https://flowcrypt.com/pub/kheim...@cs.washington.edu