the bolt spread dimension is different between 68 and 69 on the flange that
mounts to the hood. if you have 68 hood, you need 68 hinges.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 8:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] 68/69 SS hood for El Camino

In a message dated 10/28/01 7:39:45 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< The OPG catalog lists a 69-only SS hood for my El Camino and says with an

asterisk that it can also be used on 68 if 69 hinges are used. Does that

mean the 68 & 69 hoods are identical except for the location of the bolt

holes or something?

I'm also asking because I have an opportunity to buy a good used hood from a

parted 68 SS El Camino, and I don't want to buy it, ship it, and then find

out it doesn't fit. Would I need 68 hood hinges or could I just drill new

holes in my 1969 hinges?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John Nasta

p.s. I also got a set of those long extension plates that you can sandwich

between the hood & the hinges to give the hood more support & prevent it

from kinking. Are these worth using or are they unnecessary and just going

to look like something that doesn't belong there? >>

John,
The hole spacing is different on the hood.  So, the hinges have to match the

hood, no the car.  A 68 hood and 68 hood hinges will fit on a 69 Elco or
Chevelle, and vise-versa.

I have new or used hinges available for either 68's or 69's.

I have never seen a 69 or 69 hood "kink" under normal usage.  I've seen LOTS

of 70-72 hood kink right in front of the hood hinge.  So, for a 68 or 69
hood, I don't think your extension plates are neccessary.

Sincerely,
Trevor Baker
<A HREF="http://www.autoobsession.com/";>Auto Obsession</A>
805-660-2253
To subscribe to our email group and be notified when we acquire more parts
or
parts cars, and to find out about upcoming shows and swap meets, send an
email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]