Sounds like you know more than the average guy about this part number game.
                                                                 Bob, not really. I just happen to work for GM Powertrain and have some old manuals and resources at work. I forgot to answer your question on the trans ID.

CA = 350 or 396  (no difference in the trans. Sometimes the 396 would get a better clutch pack, but not this time.)
88215 = serial # of the trans
That plate that you got the info from is called a name plate. If the dealer had to send that trans back to the factory or do warranty work on it, 88215 tells the factory when it was built, what shift and what line it came off of. Today we still use the name plate but we also attach a bar code that can be scanned and give us additional info. Hope this helps ya. Sorry it took so long to answer you. I'm putting a pond in my yard and not getting on the tube much. If I can help you more let me know.
Rich