how did you like the ausley's trunk floor, is it very good quality?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Trunk Floor Replacement

I replaced the floor in my 71 also with a 3 piece floor from Ausley's. Although it fit pretty good and it sounds like Mark's was in worse shape than mine was, I have to agree with every point Mark wrote.

One thing I did was painstakingly cut the old floor away from the existing floor and gas tank braces because they were still in good shape and so It would be easier to fit the new floor to them. Even though that simplified the project to a certain extent, the trunk floor project as a whole helped remind me why I don't do body work for a living anymore.

Bill Vander Werf

Mark Weber wrote:

 I replaced the floor in my 71.  It was a p.i.t.a.  But since I think I have more time than brains I went about this method.  Here is a link.http://webpages.charter.net/perfmark/cars/chevelle/before/april_2000_work.htmHow I did it:1.  Remove old.2.  Buy new 3 piece kit paying attention to price.3.  Fully welded all butt/overlap seams.  Spot welded every 2 inches all points where the floor layed over a supporting brace.4.  Fabricate extra pieces to cover holes on each side next to the wheel well housing, from trunk floor up and over to the seat back.5.  Lots of grinding on imperfect welds.  I think my wire feed welder is a POS.6.  Some bondo and sanding to make it look smooth.7.  Seam sealer.8.  Trunk paint.9.  Probably spent 80 hours on it.  I could not make a living fixing trunk floors.How I would do it again:1.  Remove old.2.  Buy new kit that extends further up the back wall and further up and over the rear axle hump.  Don't worry if it costs $100 more it will be a better and easier fit, it will look better, and even if your time is only worth $5 an hour it will still pay for itself.  (When you buy quality - what?)3.  Tack all butt/overlap seams and do not worry about 100% of the joint being welded.  Spot welded every 2 inches all spots where the floor layed over a supporting brace.4.  Grinding really bad welds but don't worry about the rest.  If you buy a welder buy a good one. Borrow a good one from a buddy and try it first.  (When you buy quality you only cry once.)5.  Dont bondo.  Go around the new panel seams with seam sealer and leave it.6.  Trunk paint.7.  I estimate this would only take 40 hours to do a trunk. and would look very good to 95% of the population.  It is not unusual to see seam sealer on joints on cars and I think it would slip by most people.  Of course this would not look as perfect and you would still know etc...  I would do it this way if I were just making a neat car really nice.The biggest problem you might have is the fact that all the original metal you weld may be 1/2 rusted away.  You take nice new weldable thicker trunk panels and try to weld them to this thin worn out stuff and you might burn through every inch.  Maybe my car was to rusty for this to be easy. When it is done it is nice to have a trunk floor that stuff does not fall through :) Good luck,Mark71 SS