This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

From: "Dana Aldea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ?iso-8859-1?Q?NN,Letter_of_US_Rep._Jose'_Serrano_on_the_assassination?
?iso-8859-1?Q?_of_Brad_Will_and_paramilitary_violence,May_14?Date: Tue, 15 May
2007 19:18:27 +0200

US Rep. Jose' Serrano: "The Murder of Brad Will Raises a Larger Issue About
the Role of the Mexican Government"
Letter to Condoleeza Rice: "Some of My Newest Constituents Fled their Former
Homes in Mexico from Paramilitary Violence and Intimidation"

By US Rep. Jose' Serrano
(D-Bronx, New York)

May 14, 2007

The Honorable Condoleezza Rice
Secretary of State
Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

I am writing to request any information you might have regarding the status
of the Mexican government's investigation into the shooting of Brad Will, an
American journalist who was murdered in Oaxaca, Mexico in October, 2006. Mr.
Will was a frequent visitor to my district who volunteered with several
local organizations in the South Bronx. I would further ask that the State
Department work to ensure that this investigation be carried out promptly
and that its findings be made public. Lastly, I would urge you to ensure
that those found responsible for Mr. Will's death be identified and
prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The murder of Mr. Will raises a larger issue about the role of the Mexican
government in aggressively pursuing a cessation of murder, beatings, and
torture carried out by police and paramilitary groups in Oaxaca,
Guadalajara, San Salvador, and Atenco. Some of my newest constituents hail
from these regions and have fled their former homes in the face of
escalating violence and intimidation by these groups. I am hopeful that you
will urge President Calderon to fully investigate and pursue all allegations
of such abuses.

Thank you for your kind consideration of this request and I look forward to
your response.

Sincerely,

Jose' E. Serrano Member of Congress

http://www.narconews.com/Issue45/article2664.html