*CHODOSH BULLETIN-20 Sept  07*

*From the Guide to Chodosh-Y. Herman*

*Chodosh telephone Hot Line 718-305-5133, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>**

* *

*19 Oct 07*

* *

This is a special request for help from mashgichim and others with connections to the food industry.

It was pointed out by Rabbi Yehuda Shain and confirmed by Rabbi Juravel of the Kof-K, that there is at least one brand of “matzo meal” that is NOT Yoshon. This product is marketed under the Kelley brand name and has the Kof-K hashgocho for kashrus. It is really produced from bread crumbs that are very finely ground. However, Kelley sells it as “matzo meal”.

Until now we have all assumed that all matzos are Yoshon and that matzo meal all comes from matzos and is also Yoshon. This new revelation raises potentially serious Chodosh problems. Gefilte fish and other products that use matzo meal must now be reexamined regarding the nature of the matzo meal that they use. Is it really matzo meal and therefore Yoshon or is it the Kelley type of “fake” matzo meal that may be Chodosh.

The Yoshon-observant community would very much appreciate the help of mashgichim and others with connection to the food industry to answer the following questions:

   * Is Kelley the only company producing “matzo meal” that is not
     really matzo meal and may be Chodosh?
   * Which products use the Kelley product and others like it?

Please look into this and forward any leads you may have to me. I will, of course, share the results with the entire mailing list and include it in the forthcoming second issue of the Guide to Chodosh.

DO NOT press the reply button of your email program. Instead, please send all replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you very much

Yoseph Herman

 EMAIL MAILING LIST

Those who have access to email can have important corrections and updates sent to their email address automatically. To subscribe to this free service send a blank email message to:

Those who have subscribed last year to the email distribution list do not need to renew this email subscription.