*CHODOSH BULLETIN-JULY 15 08*

We have just received the latest weekly crop report from the US Dep’t of
Agriculture. That report indicates that the harvest of the Chodosh crops
is somewhat behind the normal schedule. As a result, we are putting off
the starting Chodosh date for _oats_ from Jul 15 to *_Jul 21_*. So far
our estimates for the start of Chodosh spring _wheat and barley_ remain
at _Aug 1_ and for _noodles and pasta_ the date still tentatively
remains at _Aug 15_. These dates are PACKING dates. This means that
packaged food items packed on these dates or later may contain Chodosh.
Using package codes from earlier Guides should allow you to find Yoshon
items on your grocery shelves later than this date. (You may download
the last Guide of the previous season by sending a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. However, remember that
this is still last year’s Guide and it should only be used as a
reference for dating codes. The actual dates and information in that
Guide are not to be used for the new season. The first issue of the new
season is due out in early Sept.)

For _freshly baked_ bakery, pizza shop, etc foods, the preliminary
estimate is that the flour they use may become Chodosh as early as _Aug
1_. Please look for future bulletins as more data becomes available.

Regarding our earlier fears for the availability of Yoshon in bakeries,
etc, the situation has dramatically and unexpectedly improved. As of
June 1, we were still being told by the flour mills and flour
distributors that most likely there will be no Yoshon spring wheat flour
available for the new season. This was because it was expected that
there will not be any Yoshon spring wheat left over at the start of the
Chodosh harvest. It was at the time that we called for the July 14
emergency meeting of flour producers, sellers, and Yoshon mashgichim.
Then the prospects looked bleak indeed. However, in the weeks following
that meeting, a complete turnaround has occurred. In fact, there is
indeed some left over Yoshon wheat, less than usual, but enough for our
needs. By today, almost all of the bakeries and other facilities that
have produced Yoshon in the past have already contracted to have
adequate supplies of Yoshon for the next season. Therefore, we are
cancelling our previously published alert. We now expect the Yoshon
scene (and the Guide to Chodosh) to follow patterns established in
previous years. If anyone is aware of any food producer who has problems
procuring Yoshon flour, please ask them to contact Yoseph Herman at the
Guide to Chodosh by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or by the Hot Line at 718-305-5133.

Y. Herman

free service send a blank email message to:

Those who have subscribed last year to the email distribution list do
not need to renew this email subscription.

this list by sending a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Then if you wish to resume receiving these messages from your new
service, send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

CAUTION: Some anti-spam filters require senders to respond to a
challenge in order for their E mail to be received. This E mail
distribution list can not provide such responses. Other filters
eliminate all mass mailings, or mailings from overseas such as this one
(the computer sending out this email is in Israel). If you are using
such filters, be sure to put these messages on the allowed list of your
filter, otherwise you will not receive the updates.

Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any
movement or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for
allowing us to use their E mail distribution services. The JIF provides
free email and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach
organizations. We also thank the sites moruda.com and sefer.org for
allowing the public to use E mail to request copies from their
facilities of the Guides to Chodosh and the Mashgichim Guide.