URGENT CHODOSH BULLETIN  FROM THE GUIDE TO CHODOSH

Yoseph Herman, 26 Jan 17

CHODOSH PROBLEMS WITH WINTER WHEAT PRODUCTS, Update #3

(New information since the previous bulletin is marked by ** )

We have just been made aware of the fact many if not most products that in
earlier years have always been made with only winter wheat which is Yoshon,
have this season been made with a blend of winter and possibly Chodosh
spring wheat flours. This affects items such as matzos and matzo meal,
pretzels. It also affects items using matzo meal such as gefilte fish.

Some mashgichim were aware of this change and made sure that only Yoshon
(from stored from earlier years) spring wheat is being added to Yoshon
products under their hashgocho. Other mashgichim were not aware of this,
just as we at the Guide were not. Therefore, it is possible that some items
with a Yoshon hashgocho may in fact have this problem. We were just
informed of this a few days ago and are trying as rapidly as possible to
find out which are the problem products. We will publish updates to this
list on a frequent basis. MEANWHILE WE ARE ASKING MASHGICHIM TO RESPOND TO
THIS EMAIL IMMEDIATELY TO LET US KNOW WHICH PRODUCTS UNDER THEIR HASHGOCHO
THAT USED TO BE FROM PURE WINTER WHEAT NOW BLEND IN YOSHON SPRING WHEAT AND
WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN USING CHODOSH SPRING WHEAT THIS YEAR. Below we present
a very sparse initial list of items confirmed to be fully Yoshon. As soon
as the mashgichim respond we can add more items to this list. Mashichim
please email your responses to yherma...@gmail.com, or fax it to
888-755-7590.

The reason for this change is that due to agricultural conditions, the
protein level of winter wheat had been declining to the point that even
matzos and similar foods can no longer be produced satisfactorily from
winter wheat flour only. Thus there arose the need to blend in spring wheat
of higher protein. The amount of spring wheat is much less than 50%, but
more than 1/60. This agricultural trend is expected to continue for the
next several years. The Guide will not offer any halachic guidance in how
to treat foods containing this possibly Chodosh spring wheat. We believe
that some poskim are machmir and others are meikil. You must ask your own
posek.

MEANWHILE:

DO NOT ask or write us for halachic guidance. Do not ask us at this point
whether a specific item in your house or store has this problem. Even if
your posek is machmir, do not throw out any foods. As mashgichim respond to
this appeal for information, we will add to the list of items known to have
or not have this problem.

PRELIMINARY LIST OF ITEMS USING ONLY YOSHON WHEAT:

All items made in Israel under any reliable kashrus hashgocho

*GEFILTE FISH: A&B, Unger, Freunds, Dagim, Mrs. Adlers, Manischewitz,
Mothers, Rokeach.

*MATZOS: Streits, Manischewitz, Horowitz Margahrettin, Rokeach, Mishpacha.

**BAKING FLOUR: Gold Medal flour from factory KC (KC next to the date), All
Kemach flour, all purpose and high gluten. (For other flours, including
Heckers, we do not have any information yet. Note that the problem in this
bulletin has no effect on Yoshon bakeries producing breads, challahs,
bagels, rolls and pizza. Some cakes that in the past used pure winter wheat
may be affected-to be determined.)