On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Marshall Greenblatt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Mark/Pam,
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Mark Mentovai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Great question.  We've been talking about open-sourcing something for
>> this, but so far, we don't have anything yet.  We do have something we
>> use internally, but someone needs to go through it and clean up a few
>> things before releasing it so that it runs well in the wild.  When it
>> does materialize, it'll show up on the style guide project
>> (http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/).
>
> Do you guys have a timeline in mind of when such a tool might become
> available?  If there are potential code licensing/IP issues, perhaps it
> could be made available as a web-based service?  For instance, something
> like the w3c validator but returning the corrections in either
> human-readable format or a format conducive to automation.

Everybody's generally in support of open-sourcing the tool, and I
don't anticipate any licensing conflicts; it's just a matter of
finding the time to go through it.  For what it's worth, setting it up
as a web-based service wouldn't be any faster.  More than days, less
than months, would be my guess.

- Pam