I don't understand what tab-group-modal UI would be like.
I'd prefer to do something like auto-cancel alerts that originate from
background tabs.  Maybe use an alternate, non-modal UI to present the alert
text in case that is interesting.  We could even flash the background tab to
indicate that something happened.

Trying to coerce alerts to be page-modal is just going to hurt a lot and be
way more work than the feature could possibly be worth in my opinion.

-Darin